Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dating Pt. 2 (the good stuff!)


Dating is different for everyone. As a youth pastor the magic question by parents and teenagers alike is, "When is it okay to start dating?" The good rule of thumb is if you can see yourself married at this time then it's okay to date. (Hang out in a GROUP, so much more fun!! No pressure and WAY more laughter!!) We live in a culture that most of the generation before us met in grade school and started dating young and married right out of high school. Here's the kicker 51% of teen marriages end in divorce BEFORE the age of 24 (pg. 13 in Dateable). Here's another scenario for you from Dateable. "Out of 100 married people asked, 22 said they married their high school crush... Out of those 22 people, 17 got divorced." Do the math, that's 5 people left!
So, basically you and your "sweetheart" aren't gonna last! Got it?!  I had my first boyfriend in the 4th grade, his name is Brett Stalnaker. I was SOOOOOooo in love with him. I would now call it puppy love, but the love is real to the puppy, at least at the time it was! Was I ready to get married? NO! Do I regret it? C'mon it was 4th grade, so no! What I do regret is kissing for the first time the day after 4th grade ended at Kenton's house at a little party. The reason I regret it is because I wanted to do something new with every boyfriend after him. We've tackled the when now there is the question of Why?! I like to ask people WHY? Why date?! What's the point? So, what do you think the point of dating is? My Momma would tell you, "We date to find a mate." So true! I was a serial dater and through that I found what I like in guys and what I don't like! Don't even think you stand a chance with me if you are a hairy person, gag! But seriously, We date to figure out what we can and can NOT live with through dating! I'm not against dating in that context, but I am against dating because it is cool or dating because I want to feel loved. If you really want to feel loved then PRAY because the only love that is going to help, right now, is that of the Father.
When, Why, now WHO?! Who should I date? You should date the boy who loves God more than you! Who won't talk to you till he falls asleep because he wants to do his quiet time. Don't date the bad boy! I know he's the hot one and the one we see as a challenge, but date the boy who will lead you closer to Christ not closer to his bed! Yeah, I said it! NOT CLOSER TO HIS BED! Don't even think about going to a bedroom! Some of you know, I'm so not playing! Date a guy who cares more about your walk with Christ than your relationship with each other! If you don't see that person around you, then don't date anyone! OOOOoooo She went there! Why, Yes I did! If that strong Christian male isn't around you then you shouldn't be dating! Wait for the person God has for you! It may take years, but WAIT! Waiting is something we are SO not good at, but how about we try! We pray and try to wait for what God has for us! I said try and wait because some of us get impatient and date whoever so that we aren't alone for a period of time. What we don't realize is in the end we get hurt because we didn't wait on God. So, wait on God and HE WILL PROVIDE!

No comments: