Sunday, October 10, 2010

Love

What is Love? We talk about it all the time... So what is it?! We LOVE pizza, football, Dr. Pepper, Chick-fil-a! But is that really love? Could you live without those things? Of course, but you really really like them!


So, What do we really love? Our parents, our kids (for those that have them), our significant other (for those that have one of these also), and if you are a believer then your Jesus. As I was talking to a friend the other night we were talking about truly loving one another and what that means.... Well what does that mean to you? It should mean that you are willing to lay your life down for a family member, a friend, and even an enemy!


One time in college my cousin, Ben, and I were hanging out with all of his friends in a parking lot. Well, one of the guys (we will name him Thomas) started talking trash to a guy he had never met on his phone. The guy on the phone shows up asking for Thomas. Here is the kicker as he was asking for Thomas he pulls a gun.  I think the correct response was WHAT IS HE THINKING?! Well, my cousin stepped in front of me aka in between me and the gun. Ben just stood there and made sure nothing would happen to me... He even told me not to move and kept his hand on me behind him. Now that is love!



Jesus said in John 15:10-13, "When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." So, will you follow our Father's commandments? Would you lay your life down for your friends? Now let's go tosomething else Jesus said...  Matt 5: 43-48 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy.  But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much.  If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect."

Now, if you put these two verses together what do we have? Not only do we have to love everyone, but you have to be willing to lay your life down for them... When was the last time we laid our life down or went out of our way for, or even helped someone we don't like?!

As a teenager I had a really hard time with these verses. I was a bit of a snob. I say a bit because I had friends in all different circles, but if I didn't like you or if you didn't like me then NO, I would not have laid my life down for you. Now, I hope I would lay my life down for someone who I really didn't care for, I pray that I would! 

Would you? Honestly? Think about it... are you willing to lay your life down? To get out and be uncomfortable with your life because you are helping others. That might be spending less money on yourself and more on the homeless or people in need in general. What about paying for your meal and the car behind you in the drive through. What about helping someone cut their grass or rake their leaves.... Some people like myself don't have $$ but we can use our time to help people...

At Vintage Church we have a saying that we try and live by "Live the Gospel, Love the City, Be the Church." That is what all of this is about, being the Church.

No comments: