Monday, November 17, 2014

Luke 17

I have some amazing students! This past Wednesday night they would not leave! They wanted to know how to share their testimony with people. We started just discussing our "Jesus stories." We stayed almost an hour extra and I have mostly middle schoolers. I am so excited to see what God is going to do with this group of students. They want to see lives changed for the Gospel and I believe they can do it! I needed to tell you that before I told you about Luke 17:34-35.  You need to know how awesome my students really are! Now, read the passage!
34 I tell you, in that night there will be two in one bed. One will be taken and the other left.35 There will be two women grinding together. One will be taken and the other left.”
When you think about this passage what do you notice? On Wednesday nights we have been walking through the Baptist Faith and Message. Right now we are in the "Last Things." On November 12th we were discussing this scripture. While we were reading my students got lost in laughter! Now, when people who have been around Biblical teaching for a while we think, "Oh wow! That is going to be crazy!" So, why were my students laughing? Let's take another look with some definitions.
"I tell you, in that night there will be two in one bed. (teenagers think sex) One will be taken and the other left. There will be two women grinding together. (grinding is dirty dancing like sex... and this says two women were doing it) One will be taken and the other left." I just had to stop, think, laugh, and then say, "Okay, back in biblical times women would take two giant stones and spin them in opposite directions to make corn or wheat extremely small... That is grinding! They weren't dancing all together." It's amazing how words can change over time. None of the adults in the room thought twice about what was read. What would you have done? After that night I went to the Greek and multiple versions of the Bible. Some add the word grain or flour, but in the greek it doesn't say what they were grinding just that it was an activity that women did often. I don't think I will ever read this passage without laughing from this point! So, when you teach this make sure you read it out of the NIV! haha! I have read it to multiple people since and it's amazing how the age of the person decides whether they laugh or look at me puzzled when I say my students laughed! We wonder sometimes why some generations don't understand the others, part of it is the language and definitions of words! LIKE GRINDING!

No comments: