Thursday, February 19, 2015

Spaghetti Sauce

I am such a Foodie! I absolutely love to eat, but I also LOVE to cook! I started cooking when I was small just helping my mom, but in first grade both of my parents had the flu and I was able to make them food! By the time I was in middle school when I would get home from school I would start dinner because the deal was the first person home had to cook dinner! I hope one day I will be able to teach our child/children.

I don't know how your house was, but my whole family was in the kitchen cooking! When I started dating Jaron I was the one that cooked, but slowly he is moving into the kitchen alongside me!

Well, I always get rave reviews from my Spaghetti Sauce and honestly I feel like it isn't homemade, but I have found that in our world today people think that it is! I made this sauce, other than the beef, for 100 people for $20! That's right $20!

Depending on how many people you are serving depends on how many CANS you will use! Tonight, it will just be Jaron and Myself so I used 1 can. Normally, I use 2 cans. We got a couple of crock pots that link together (Thanks Aunt E!) but I haven't tried them for regular stuff just dips, until tonight!

Food Lion has Large cans of Spaghetti Sauce for .84. That's right, less than a dollar! So, pour the can of your favorite sauce into the crock pot (keep the can), then drain and add a can of diced tomatoes, a drained can of mushrooms. Stir that together and put it on low. Dice up a clove of garlic and throw it in!

Now, we are going to use our skillet and brown a pound of ground beef. I chopped about an eighth of a large sweet onion and one clove of garlic! Sometimes I don't have fresh gar
lic, so I use garlic powder.
Put the skillet on medium and just when you can feel the heat on your hand, with your hand about an inch away from the bottom, put your onions and garlic (only fresh) into the pan! Do not leave them alone because we did not add any oil, so stir stir stir! Now, put into the pan your pound of ground beef, thawed! We are going to add some seasonings! I use Oregano, Basil, Parsley, and Cilantro. I know cilantro is normally for hispanic food, but I LOVE IT! If you are using the garlic powder add that now as well! Mix it all around and when it is all mixed in, flatten the mixture to the bottom of the pan and LEAVE IT ALONE! Once the bottom is browned then flip it over and start smashing! My Dad loves the meat to not be all clumpy, but to be smooth! That is where the smashing comes in!



Once the meat is browned drain the grease back into the can your sauce came out of! I told you to keep it! Move your meat around and drain again. I don't rinse the meat because I believe it takes all that flavor away. Now, Put the meat into the crock pot! Fold it in and add the same seasonings other than the garlic and onion! Now, let it sit on low for 4 hours.
Oh man! Look at that! Just perfect! Oh and that plastic is a slow cooker bag! It makes clean up a snap!

No comments: