Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Adoption Quilt Making


My mom taught me how to sew when I was in preschool! My mom's best friend taught a sewing class to elementary school students and my mom figured she could teach me! During the summers we would make outfits and one time a doll! For a while my mom made flags to make ends meet. I remember during nap time and when I went to bed at night I would hear the hum of the sewing machine as well as the washer and dryer going. Something about those sounds comforts me! About 5 years ago, I made a few quilts and taught some of my youth girls to sew. My first ones were a bit rough (the brown one to the right) and I never thought I would be using something like that to raise money for our Adoption! Back then I wasn't even dating let alone thinking about having kids!



10 QUILTS!!

Some of you have seen posts on Facebook showing me making quilts. It has been CRAZY! In one month I received 10 orders! Ya'll I NEVER thought I would sell 10! Seriously... When we bought the first fabric I was questioning why I thought I could do this! Now, we only need 10 more quilts and we will have enough to get through the home study portion of our adoption!! Then hopefully we can get grants! Honestly, the way this is going we might be able to do it all making quilts! I would love to make this a small business one day and employ some of my family so they could stay at home! How cool would that be?! That may never happen, but hopefully we will continue to sell some so that we can pay the agency so that a birth mom can choose us!!

I can't write this post without including all of the blessings we have received. Some of you are helping us quilt (HUGE BLESSING), some have given us donations (I cry every time we receive one), some of you have ordered quilts, and hopefully all of you are praying! This is a perfect picture of Church! Everyone helping and pitching in for one goal! God is definitely up to something! The more I talk about adoption the more people pour their lives and hearts out to us about their struggles with pregnancy! God is allowing us to be heard and share our story in many different ways! I can't wait to see all that God is going to do!

Some people have wondered how I am getting all these quilts done... Well, I work on my Youth/Children stuff till 12:30 and then after lunch I get to work on quilts! At 5:00 I stop and go to whatever games/events our students have normally getting home between 8:30 and 9:30. It's crazy busy, but it's our life right now!!

Send me a picture of a nursery and we will get to making a quilt to match!





No comments: