Monday, September 25, 2017

Racism and the NFL

As I sit in my little brick house here in Virginia I look outside and see my white neighbor's house, my Hispanic neighbor's house, and I can hear my husband's black friend from work bush hogging the field down the road. My community is one where we truly all get along... I have not always lived in such a place where when I saw a black man and we were both in our NFL get up he would be the first to joke with me. I have not always lived in a place where parents of kids allowed their children to go to the house of someone of another race. I have not always lived in a place where there was not a "black part of town." I have not always lived in a place where the "N" word was not spoken. I appreciate my town. I appreciate the fact that we are invited to birthday parties and weddings of people of other races. I appreciate the fact that our youth group is not lily white. I appreciate the fact that our kids of different races spend the night at one another's houses. I appreciate the fact that if anyone at my husbands work needs a ride into work, no matter their color, someone picks them up.

I have lived in a place where white women did not speak to black men and visa versa; when I did they were in shock. I was usually asked where I was from because there is no way I could be from that town. I lived in a place where people told me how to get to their house by going around the "black part of town" instead of going the shorter way through it. I lived in a place where I was told my house value was going to go down because 2 US Military Veterans were moving in next door. They happened to be black and all I heard from my white neighbors was about the black people. Not about how he had lost his arm in combat serving our country or how good his BBQ chicken was, but the color of their skin. I lived in a place where no one went to the closest grocery store because it "wasn't safe." I was always the lone white person when grocery shopping. I lived in a place where the local football coaches did not attend an NFL draft party for 2 college players from our town because of the color of their skin. I lived in a place where I invited a black man into the church to get some supplies for a play and he was scared to walk in the door.

Racism is alive an thriving in America. We, white people,  might not see it in our community, but it is there. I saw it not to long ago here in my town. A father told me his daughter isn't allowed to date a person of color except for 1 boy. I didn't speak out...

BUT if you say your child cannot date someone of another race whether they are black, Asian, Hispanic, or white. You, my friend, are racist. When we talk about adopting and the first question you ask is what race my child will be. You, my friend, are racist. If you are telling me a story of a friend and you start it with "this black girl in my office." You, my friend, are racist.

I went through a time in middle school when the people I was hanging around were becoming racist. I remember it well. I started to become like them until my parents put a stop to it right away. They reminded me that God created everyone. Jesus himself was not white. They told me they did not raise someone to judge others by the color of their skin.

I am thankful for a dad who has shared multiple pulpits in African American Churches. I am thankful for a mom who taught me to cross the street when there were shady looking people coming my way no matter their color because their attitude means more than their color. I am thankful my house was open to anyone. If you wanted to come to my birthday party or to hang out after school you were more than welcome, no matter the color of your skin.

The NFL players are not kneeling to disrespect the flag and our military, but to bring awareness of the racism that is still running rampant in America. There is not a bigger platform to bring light to the truth than through the NFL. If you are boycotting the NFL because they are disrespecting our military please look closer at the issue. I saw a meme earlier today that said, "Thinking NFL players are 'protesting the flag' is like thinking Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation." In this situation I feel as though no truer words have been spoken.
  Dear Lord, Help us to see with your eyes. Help us to learn from your words and Help us to change the world we live in for your Name! - Amen 

No comments: