Thursday, November 2, 2017

Why Adoption?

We are asked all the time why adoption? Well, for me, I like to say its in my blood. You see my dad was adopted as an infant. I was the only person he knew who was blood related to him until he was in his 50's. I saw the good in adoption. He always said he had 3 mom's. The first mom loved him enough to allow someone else to raise him. The 2nd mom who raised him as her own and lastly his step mom has loved him even though she didn't have too. My dad had 2 dads. One who didn't know about him until he was a grandfather and the other who placed him under the Christmas tree for that was all they could afford that Christmas. Some days I think that is how Jaron and I will be, placing our baby under the tree for that is all we can afford.

Adoption... Dictionary. com defines adoption as - to take and rear (the child of other parents) as one's own child, specifically by a formal legal act.

The word adoption happens 5 times in the New Testament. All used by the Apostle Paul. Paul uses this word to describe us (non Jewish people) being grafted into the family of God. We are adopted into God's family when we ask him to be the boss of our lives. We become family. I never realized how this applies to us until we met part of my dad's biological family. Some of them are believers. When we met them we were instantly like family. We felt very close very fast. I believe that is because we already had the bond of Christ. The part of the family who are not believers were very standoffish. We did not have that sense of already being family. You see we were already family through Christ. We were already grafted together because of our belief and trust in Jesus.

Here's the deal. Adoption is not only in my physical family, but in my spiritual one as well... Let us all follow God's example and adopt. Maybe you can't physically adopt for a lifetime right now, but you can help other families. Our church is helping 50 kids this Christmas from right here in our community. We are buying presents and providing stocking stuffers. These families aren't going to have to worry about keeping the power on instead of buying presents!

Maybe you need to think and pray about adopting for a season or for a lifetime!

No comments: